Friday, March 16, 2012



Despite the fact that the company existed only 29 years old, survived the crash on Wall Street and the ensuing depression, she became one of the most prestigious in the world and maintained its reputation to this day. Pierce, George (George N. Pierce) Pierce made ​​the first car in 1904 In 1909 all the cars were brand new Pierce-Arrow. By 1914, the company offers three well-developed 6-cylinder models, including "66", which was considered the biggest series of the machine age in the U.S..

The elegant and high-speed model, Pierce-Arrow was decorated with sculpted figures an archer, in this case, "VI2" 1932
By 1915 the company has built more than 12 thousand cars. Most of them belong to the prestigious. Issue related models "38" / "48" / "66" finally ceased in 1923 and replaced in the mid 20's. there were cars with engines smaller working volume.
In 1928, George Pierce became ill and decided to leave the firm after selling her company Studebaker ("Studebaker"). Soon after President Pierce-Arrow was Albert Erskine (Albert Erskine), who headed the Studebaker. Sales of Pierce-Arrow cars have doubled - up to 10 thousand units in 1929

Body Pierce-Arrow VI2 1933 had a delightful design
In the so-called multi-cylinder race, which began after the collapse on Wall Street, Pierce-Arrow Company first introduced nizhneklapanny 8-cylinder engine in 1931 - the motor V12. The previous six-cylinder engines were replaced with two new models of motors that are in the 30's. installed on all models of the company.
Due to the economic downturn Pierce-Arrow was released in 1932 only 2241 cars. At the same Ab Jenkins (Ab Jenkins) on the modernized car "V12" broke many speed records. Next year Studebaker entered external administration. As a result, Albert Erskine, committed suicide, and Pierce-Arrow Company was sold to a group of businessmen and bankers.

A typical Pierce-Arrow was a respectable and dignified with a large car wheelbase. In the photo - model 1932
Despite this, the company has managed to produce a luxury car exhibition Silver Arrow ("Silver Arrow"), but the start of its release, it failed because the final bankruptcy in August, 1934 Still, the company revived. In 1936 the car received a body-date appearance. The volume of production was low and steadily falling. If the 1935 Pierce-Arrow built 875 cars, in 1936 - 787, and in 1937 - only 167. The final blow came in the spring of 1938, after assembling the last 30 cars. The remains of the famous American company had been sold at auction. Attempts at regeneration is not followed, and one of the most well-known brands disappeared forever.
Fierce-Arrow 66 ("Pierce-Arrow 66"), 1910-1918
The first six-cylinder Pierce used a car that was built specifically for racing, "Glidden Tour" (Glidden Tour) in 1906 is natural that in 1909 he installed on the machine Fierce-Arrow. A year later, the largest of them, a working volume of 5.13 liters, was used in the model "66", which remained in production until joining the U.S. in 1918 in the first world war.

With its powerful 13.5-liter six-cylinder engine Fierce-Arrow Model 66 without too much effort to develop high speed
This car was the largest in a series of six-cylinder cars Fierce-Arrow. Its wheelbase of 3.55 meters in 1913 increased to 3.75 m Motor consisted of three separate 2-cylinder cast iron block on aluminum crankcase with large and heavy cast-iron pistons. The engine was a low speed. Its working volume was increased from the initial 10.6 liters to 11.7 liters in 1910, and then - up to 13.5 liters. Maximum cardinality, he developed only at 1200 rev / min. While this engine was the largest of the proposed on American cars. When the T-shaped combustion chambers motion gatel packaged with a dual ignition system with two spark plugs per cylinder. Six of them were powered by a magneto, and the remaining six - from the ignition coil. The driver could use one or the other set or two at the same time.
Conventional notions of American chassis differed interesting feature: the foot and hand brake acted on the same outer and inner drum pads, respectively. Famous lights built into the front wings, appeared in 1913 while maintaining the same body.
For nine years, was made in 1638 of large Fierce-Arrow 66. A significant number of these vehicles arrived in Minneapolis. Handbook of Fire Protection gave "good" to build on the basis of "66" fire-fighting vehicles.
Recent instances of this model were collected in 1918, then even the Fierce-Arrow company realized that the time for such machines is gone.

This is an open touring Fierce-Arrow in 1914 was different characteristic headlights built into the front fenders

Characteristics (1912)
Engine: P6, nizhneklapanny
Bore and stroke: 127x177, 8 mm
Displacement: 13,514 cm3
Maximum power: 80 hp
Transmission: 4-speed manual gearbox, rear-wheel drive
Chassis: the steel ladder frame
Suspension: dependent on semi-elliptic leaf springs
Brakes: drum (rear wheels only)
Body: various types of
Maximum speed: 113 km / h
Fierce-Arrow Straight Eight ("Pierce Arrow Straight Eight")
The generation of cars with a new row "eight" (the lower valves, crankshaft polnooporny) Fierce-Arrow Company has established long before the difficulties in the U.S. economy and the emergence of problems with the sale of motor vehicles with a large working volume.
Cars Fierce-Arrow Straight Eight created prior to the sale of Studebaker. From their production decided not to give up. The decision was worth it. It was the most powerful cars in the history of the company. They had an excellent chassis that allowed the body to lower the floor level, improved manageability and cost less than their 6-cylinder predecessors. Externally, it was typical of Fierce-Arrow, and the company expects the 30-ies. prosperity.

Fierce-Arrow Straight Eight in 1930 with a luxurious seven-seat phaeton body
But because of the events on Wall Street, everything collapsed. Model Eight of the planned level of sales has not reached. In the 1930 model year, managed to sell 6795 of these cars in 1931 - 4522. Then the number of buyers has decreased dramatically. In 1935 (after another crisis of the company) was produced 523 cars, and in the last year of production of the factory in Buffalo, NY, came out of 121 cars.
Despite this, the company offered three options for the engine working volume, although a clear explanation of this fact was not followed. In 1928 Fierce-Arrow began to install the engine cylinder capacity of 5991 cm3, and used it until 1935 In 1929, a version with a slightly reduced engine diameter cylinder (5587 cm3). It is installed parallel to 1931 and before production ceased in 1938, but with a break in 1931-1933., Produced version of a working volume of 6306 cm3 with an increased stroke and the same as the first engine, the cylinder diameter. Engine power of 115, 125 and 132 hp respectively.
In 30-ies. Chassis of this model was very similar to appeared in the 1931 model, "V12", and all exterior improvements to one of them crossed to the other. Company Fierce-Arrow is always attentively monitored Detroit trends in design. So in 1934 a form of body is more rounded, improved equipment vehicles, and in 1936 the car received a new frame with a crossbar and the cross is shifted forward engine.
In 10 years Straight Eight production has lagged behind in a constructive manner (for example, it has not received an independent front suspension), although the quality of manufacturing remained the same, very high level.

Fierce-Arrow Straight Eight 1932 The body design of the first cars looked like "VIZ" the same year

Characteristics (1928)
Engine: P8, nizhneklapanny
Bore and stroke: 85,85 x120, 65 mm
Displacement: 5587 cm3
Maximum Power: 115 hp
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Chassis: the steel frame
Suspension: dependent on semi-elliptic leaf springs
Brakes: drum
Body: 2 to 7 different types of local
Maximum speed: 137 km / h
Pierce-Arrow V12 ("Pierce-Arrow V12")
In light of the dire economic situation in the U.S. early 30-ies. seems inexplicable desire to start production of large, complex and powerful cars with V-shaped 12 - and 16-cylinder engines. But the emergence of such machines from firms Cadillac ("Cadillac"), Lincoln ("Lincoln") and Marmon ("Mapmon") and the company made ​​the Fierce-Arrow in 1931, to submit their own well-developed model of the "V12" with 7,6 - liter engine.

This 7.6-liter Fierce-Arrow VI2 body to the city was built in 1937 shortly before the closing of the company. In that year, out of the gate of the factory came out of 137 cars
Such a step can be explained by the desire to create an ad. The project initially was not seen as profitable. For eight years the company managed to sell just a very expensive 1812 cars "V12". In the first year, they cost from 3650 USD - $ 200 more expensive Cadillac VI2 ("Cadillac"). For comparison, the price of the most popular 4-cylinder Ford's ("Ford") - it started with $ 410.
For the "V12" reinforced frame chosen from the long wheelbase version of the model of Eight ("Eight"). Sam V-shaped 12-cylinder engine had a classic for this type of engine design with a cylinder angle of the collapse of 80 °, two cast-iron block on aluminum crankcase, crankshaft polnoopornym and bottom-valve to the hydraulic lifters in the drive.
The instrument panel is one of five Silver Arrow cars worth 10 thousand dollars. Unusual in its form, called a "bird's eye". Windshield frame decorated with the lining of the maple wood
Raise the level of sales could not even Ab Jenkins, who set to the maximum lite "V12" a number of speed records at Bonneville Salt Lake. The company hoped to raise interest in using the exhibition of cars Silver Arrow, far ahead of time, but they were built in 1933, a total of five units at a price of 10 thousand dollars.
The first samples of the model were 6, 5 - or 7-liter engines, but even with 150 hp provide the necessary characteristics was not possible. So in 1933 came with a larger version of the engine to 7.6 liter working volume (175 hp). His and installed on the car before the end of production.
Rierce-Arrow Silver Arrow V12, built for the exhibition "Century of Progress" in Chicago (1933), was the "highlight" of exposure. The shape of his body doing enough in the wind tunnel. Therefore, the maximum machine speed increased to 185 km / h Spare tires were stored inside the front fenders. Note the very narrow rear windows
Characteristics (Silver Arrow, 1933)
Engine: VI2, nizhneklapanny
Bore and Stroke: 88,9 x101, 6mm
Displacement: 7566 cm3
Maximum Power: 175 hp
Transmission: 3-speed manual
Chassis: the steel frame
Suspension: dependent on semi-elliptic leaf springs
Brakes: drum
Body: Sedan
Maximum speed: 185 km / h

1 comment: