Saturday, March 10, 2012



A small precision engineering company D. Napier & Son Ltd. ("D. Nepir and Son") was founded in 1808 in London. At the end of the century, its position was shaken, and Montague (Montague) Nepir decided to switch to automotive production. Its first product was a 2-cylinder engine, which is needed to repair the car Panhard ("Panhard") in 1896, belonged to the rider, SF Edzhu (S.F. Edge). In 1900 Napier launched the first self-made car with a 2-cylinder engine cylinder capacity of 2.47 liters, and at the end of that year, introduces the "16NR" with a 4-cylinder engine. As a result, the company organized the Edge of auto trade, remained until 1912 the sole distributor of products Napier.

6-cylinder race winner Gordon Bennett Cup in 1903 in the colors of Napier
The first machines Napier were big, heavy and fast. Edge was not only a powerful publicist, and a good racer. Soon after he won the Cup Grdona Bennett. By 1903 the company produced 250 cars per year and moved from Lambeth to a new factory in Acton, west London. In 1904, Napier began manufacturing the world's first series six-cylinder car, and then to the upper engine intake valves. By that time, Napier turned into the most prestigious British firm. Her credibility first time after his appearance could not shake even the company Rolls-Royce ("Rolls Royce").

At the turn of the century the company Napier was considered the best British car manufacturer
A few years Napier produced 4 - and 6-cylinder models, and sports team on the Edge 4-cylinder car won the race "Tourist Trophy" (Tourist Trophy) in 1908 sales grew rapidly. In the program, a simple taxi with two-cylinder engine and new 4 - and 6-cylinder cars. Maximum of 811 pieces of pre-war sales reached in 1911
By the 20-th years. Napier was engaged in a much more lucrative - military supplies, and the most famous product was the aircraft engine W12 Lion ("Lion"). On this basis, the production company is expanding so quickly and so successfully that Montague Nepir decided to abandon the production of cars. However, in the 20's. Napier cars collected in small quantities. The representatives of this period were truly beautiful, especially the model "40/50NR", produced in the 1919-24 years. It offered a six-cylinder engine capacity of 6.1 liters.

Napier Colonial 20HP 1915 corresponded to the highest standards, but even then the company is increasingly focused on the production of aircraft engines
Cars 20-ies. were made by hand, were very expensive and sold with difficulty. For five years, could be realized only 187 cars. After that, their production is completely stopped, and the total number of vehicles produced by 4258 was only pieces.
But the history of Napier could have, and the other end. In 1931 the company celebrated Bentley ("Bentley") suffered a bankruptcy, and Napier has attempted to purchase. Walter (Walter) Bentley was so confident in the success of this initiative, which has already begun work on the construction of a new car Napier-Bentley. However, Rolls-Royce offered the agency the bankruptcy more favorable conditions and became the owner of Bentley.
Napier 40/50HP ("Napier 40/50HP") 1919-1924
Half-hearted attempt to Napier to start production model "40/50NR" corresponding to the Rolls-Royce, was to lead to failure. With such a well-developed design and the highest level of quality London-based company engaged in the sale of these cars without enthusiasm. The probable reason for this, bodywork company Cunard ("Kyunerd"), who was in possession of Napier. Best Bodybuilding Britain, who patronized the Rolls-Royce, very rarely allow themselves to cooperate with Napier.
The prototype was presented in November 1919 at the Auto Show "Olympia" (Olympia), but due to conflict with the workers of delivery of the first cars began only at the end of 1920 As a result, releasing only 187 cars, from their production declined. Of this amount, 17 cars were the options for Colonial ("Koloniel") for the overseas territories with increased ground clearance, and five pieces - sport version. Interestingly, the company originally planned to make Napier 500 copies of "40/50NR."

This chassis "40/50NR" release in 1924, the last of the company Napier. The model has an amazing engine and high quality workmanship. Stamped frame ladder was typical for that period. Pay attention to the cantilever rear springs
Model "40/50NR" was a magnificent return to the past. Created its construction EW Roulidzh (AW Rowledge), author of the engine for the aircraft Lion ("Lion" - "Lion"). This he developed advanced engine with overhead camshaft and aluminum block and cylinder head. The chassis also was a pre-war construction, with minor modifications. Body, usually supplied by Cunard. They were very tall, stately and expensive.
Like many other cars of that period, "40/50NR" look faster than it was in reality. Thus, a limousine with its own weight 2.3 tons, and poor aerodynamics of speeds up to 112 km / h with the appropriate dynamics and fuel consumption. Interestingly, in order to ensure the smooth operation of the engine at low speed in the sixth cylinder was equipped with a special piston, provide a lesser degree of compression! Survived these cars is very small.

Limousine Napier 40/50HP, produced in 1921 his own enormous weight of severely deteriorated performance, including fuel consumption. Buyers of these vehicles are mainly valued leisurely and measured manner of driving

Characteristics (1919)
Engine: P6, the upper cam
Bore and stroke: 102x127 mm
Displacement: 6177 cm3
Maximum power: 82 hp
Transmission: 4-speed manual gearbox, rear-wheel drive
Chassis: the steel ladder frame
Suspension: Front dependent on semi-elliptic leaf springs, rear dependent on the cantilever leaf springs
Brakes: Rear drum
Body: different types of
Maximum speed: 112 km / h

No comments:

Post a Comment