FRAZER NASHThe birth of the company Frazer-Nash was a year after the closure of a small company GN (Gee-Ann). Its chief engineer Archie Frazer-Nash (Archie Frazer-Nash) has teamed up with picket F. (F. Picket) and started manufacturing light vehicles from units remaining from the GN. Cars sold under the name of Frazer Nash. Or more correctly Frazer-Nash? With a hyphen or not? These questions concern of historians for many years, especially since the company that used it, it does not. We chose Frazer Nash, because this company has applied in writing of the 50s.
All pre-war Frazer Nash car company had a simple but effective chain transmission
Throughout its history it has remained a small, producing hand-made sports cars. The machines were expensive, their characteristics are asking customers and design solutions in many respects different from the widely accepted at that time.
All pre-war designs connoisseurs affectionately called Chain Gang ("Chain Gang"). They differed chain transmissions with shifting special sockets. Production of these vehicles began in Kingstonapon-Thames in 1924 In 1926 the plant moved to Ayzluort, where he remained under the name of AFN Ltd. In 30-ies. production accounted for the largest portion of the TT sports model Replica ("Voice") with a 1.5-liter Meadows ("Meadows").
The post-war models, like this Le Mans Replica ("Le Mans Replica"), based on his BMW had design
Archie Frazer-Nash as a technically competent person, was improvident businessman, sold the company in 1928, Richard Plunkett-Greene (Richard Plunkett-Greene). Soon the leadership stood GJ Aldington (H.J. Aldington). He went on to release Chain Gang, and brings into the country cars BMW (BMW).
After the war A.F.N. established contact with the company Bristol Aeroplane ("Bristol Eyropleyn") and the well-known designer of BMW engines, Dr. Fiedler (Fiedler). Therefore, all post-war Frazer Nash cars supplied engines Bristol prewar design BMW. Technically, they became more modern, but the cost is extremely expensive and therefore sold out very slowly.
Cars frazer Nash 20-30s. had different engines. This Vitesse ("Vitesse") in 1930 received a four-cylinder overhead valve engine Meadows ("Meadows"), a working volume of 1496 cm3
In the mid-50s. A.F.N. began to represent the interests of the company in the UK Porsche ("Porsche"). In 1960 Frazer Nash car assembly halt. The project is the production of the BMW engine V8, which was called the Continental ("Continental"), producing a single prototype was completed.
Frazer Nash TT Replica ("Frazer Nash TT Replica")
The origin of the GN cars can clearly be seen in every car on the Chain Gang Frazer Nash, including a typical TT Replica. They had a simple frame with straight spars, very hard cantilever leaf springs and easy steering.
Propeller shaft connected to the rear axle, engine, main transmission which consisted of a set of chains with toothed clutches of different sizes. It was so simple, that the critics often do not believe in its effectiveness. In addition, all its elements have been discovered, and often require cleaning and lubrication. Frequent breakdowns compensated easy repair. Since the scheme did not include a transmission differential and rear axle was the continuous narrow gauge and provided excellent traction.
In pre-war independent producers who were unable to produce engines of their own design, used the popular 4-cylinder engine Meadows (1496 cm3, 55-65 HP). SU carburetors with two of his mostly installed on the TT Replica
Over the years the design of cars practically unchanged, and differences, but name, were the establishment of machinery in different engines and bodies. The first 17 cars have engines Plus Power ("Power Plus"), and 215 - Engines Anzani ("Antsani"). In 1933 27 cars assembled with motors Blackburne ("Blackburn"), and in 1934, 27 pieces - from Frazer Nash Cough ("Frazer Nash Kof").
Most models of the company named in memory of former sporting achievements, for example, Shelsley ("Shelsli"), Boulogne ("Boulogne"), Colmore ("Kolmor"), Ulster ("Ulster") and TT Replica. The latter was the largest of all: 6 years were manufactured 85 cars. But the most beloved, the company turned out to be the engine of production Anzani. Only a few models used motor Blackburne, who is a racing version with a supercharged 150 hp could develop At TT Replica is usually installed motor Meadows ("Meadows"), a working volume of 1496 cm3.
TT Replica appeared in 1932 instead Meadows he could get a 6-cylinder engine with two camshafts Blackburn
Engine: P 4, the upper cam
Bore and Stroke: 69x100 mm
Displacement: 1496 cm3
Maximum power: 62 hp
Transmission: 4-speed chain
Chassis: the steel frame
Suspension: dependent on the cantilever springs
Body: 2-seater sports
Maximum speed: 140 km / h
Trazer Nash Le Mans Replica ("Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica")
The post-war plans of the company Frazer Nash were associated with Dr. Fiedler from BMW and its new engine, "328." Improved engines and body became the basis of the first postwar models (with 6-cylinder Bristol).
The original scheme of interaction between companies and the Bristol Aeroplane Frazer Nash provided the use of common designs. The first of these supplies engines and transmissions (under license from BMW), a second hand cars assembled in Aysluorte.
Le Mans Replica with a 2-liter engine design Bristol BMW in the garage track at Goodwood (Goodwood) 1952
All the post-war Frazer Nash models were simple and strong frame made of steel pipes of large diameter. Versions of the year differed only varying degrees of engines and forcing a change of names. The most remembered for was the Le Mans Replica.
Most post-war Frazer Nash cars was a narrow cigar-shaped two-seater body with a motorcycle-type front wings. First, the machine was called High Speed ("High Speed"), but after winning the first post-war 24-hour race at Le Mans they immediately renamed Le Mans Replica. Of the 83 vehicles with engines from Bristol, issued in 1948-56 years., About 60 bodies had options Le Mans Replica. Its carefully designed chassis provides excellent handling. Engines, in spite of the long stroke pistons, easily gained momentum, and the quality of manufacturing machinery have been beyond criticism.
Frazer Nash offered several options for sports and road cars based on the Le Mans Replica. In this photo provided Mille Miglia e racing version
Characteristics (Le Mans Replica, 1932)
Engine: P6, the overhead
Bore and Stroke: 66x96 mm
Displacement: 1971 cm3
Maximum power: 110-125 hp
Transmission: 4-speed manual
Chassis: the steel frame
Suspension: front independent on the transverse springs, rear torsion dependent
Body: 2-seater sports
Maximum speed: 177 km / h
Options Frazer Nash Le Mans Replica
The first name of the car with a body of Le Mans Replica - Speed and Competition ("Kompitishn").
Option Mk II
Le Mans Replica rear suspension was de Dion. In 1948-56 years. on the same post-war chassis to set different engine variants Bristol and body. In particular, the company produced cars with bodies of normal width: sports-ground Fast Tourer ("Fast tourer"), Mille Miglia ("Mille Miglia") for racing and ordinary road. It also brought together three copies of a sports-racing Sebring ("Sebring"). The most recent example of Frazer Nash Continental coupe was the prototype of the frame and suspension on the model of Sebring, V-shaped 8-cylinder engine and gearbox from BMW 50s. In 1957 was built by a single instance.