Futuristic coupe Avanti. When Studebaker ceased production, the dealer continued to release two models at the plant of the company, ordering the body to the side
During the First World War a large number of staff cars Studebaker arrived in the U.S. Army, France, Britain and Russia. In 1919 the company released the latest passenger car with four-cylinder engine. In 20-ies. A majority of the models were completed nizhneklapannymi "Six" swept volume to 5.8 liters. The program included a roadster Light Six ("Light Six"), 7-passenger sedan Big Six ("Big Six") and lightweight car Erskine ("Erskine"). The role of the flagship model served as President Eight ("The President of Eight") in 1928, created by the chief engineer of Barney Ross (Barney Ross). It installed in-line "eight" (4.9 liter, 100 hp) and a body of five options.
In 1928, Studebaker acquired Fierce-Arrow ("Pierce Arrow") and owned it until its bankruptcy in 1933 At that time, other than passenger cars Fierce-Arrow Company Studebaker produced trucks is also a series of Studebaker-Pierce-Arrow. Wealth has disappeared in the depression years. After the bankruptcy of the company and change the hosts managed to stay afloat by selling Fierce-Arrow. By 1935, it again became solvent. Everything became more profitable trucks, the company appeared in the program buses and fire trucks.
Coupe Golden Hawk in great demand in the early 60s., But production ceased in 1963 with the Avanti
Helped revive Studebaker, and became one of the most successful car company a small passenger Champion ("Champion"), submitted in 1939 during the Second World War, the company's products include military trucks "US6" with the wheel formula 6x4 and 6x6, Amphibious Weasel ("Uizel "), aircraft engines.
In 1947 there were models Commander ("Commander"), Champion, and Regal ("Rigel") with a panoramic rear windows, created by Raymond Loewy (Raymond Loewy), and Virgil Exner (Virgil Exner). But under their bodies were hidden very futuristic conventional components and assemblies. But the most radical design had the Champion Starlight Coupe ("Champion Starlight Coupe") in 1950 with the front part of the body in the form of rockets and large panoramic rear window.
By that time, Studebaker Truck program included a wide range of models, ranging from 0.5-ton pickup trucks and ending with multi-ton truck tractors. Production facilities include 11 foreign assembly plants, and new enterprise in the Canadian city of Hamilton. During the Korean War, the company at plants in Chicago and New Brunswick produced jet engines "J-47".
In 50-ies. Americans are obsessed with cars with "fins". Studebaker Silver Hawk was no exception
With the fading of the postwar boom and increasing competition Studebaker sales sharply declined. Did not help even a very attractive body Loewy designed for 1953 model year vehicles, and the overhead V-shaped 8-cylinder engines. The following year the firm merged with Studebaker Packard ("Packard"), and in 1956 they acquired Aircraft Company Curtiss Wright ("Curtis Wright"). In 1957 under the name Packard began to produce models of Studebaker, and a year later Packard disappeared completely. In 1959, Fortune's smile was a modest passenger model Lark ("Lark"), while luck accompanied my dear Golden Hawk ("Golden Hawk") and glass-plastic compartment Avanti ("Avanti"). The Canadian company's plant was built model Daytona ("Daytona") and Cruiser ("Cruiser") powered by Chevrolet ("Chevy"). But in the end Golden Hawk and the Avanti had to be removed from production in 1966 to close a plant in Canada. The following year there was an association with the corporation Wagner Electric and Worthington ("Worthington Wagner Electric End") and the formation of Studebaker-Worthington, which, in turn, in 1979. acquired by McGraw Edison ("McGraw Edison").
Studebaker Commander Coupe ("Studebaker Commander Coupe"), 1947-1956
While working in the company of Raymond Loewy Studebaker offered some memorable cars. Among them stood a model Commander, which in 1953 presented in the form of convertible consisting of two halves facing the radiator. By European standards it was a great car (length - 5.2 and width - 1.8 m). Roomy interior determined wheelbase 3.05 m and 1.44 m gauge roughly
3.8-liter overhead valve V-shaped 8-cylinder engine rated at 120 hp at 4000 rev / min with a two-chamber carburetor Stromberg ("Stromberg") has been moved back and worked with an automatic transmission Borg Warner ("Borg Warner"), drive line with the intermediate support and the usual rear drive axle with hypoid final drive Salisbury (" Salisbury "). The maximum speed exceeding 161 km / h and average fuel consumption of 14 l/100 km. With the volume of 57 l fuel tank cruising range at a constant speed of 96 km / h was about 480 km.
Front suspension - independent double levers, coil springs and shock absorbers, rear - dependent on semi-elliptic leaf springs with a broad and thin sheets and shock absorbers. Suspension distinguished by strength, was at times very noisy, but calmly absorbed all road irregularities. Perhaps the weak side of the car had drum brakes Wagner-Lockheed ("Wagner-Lockheed") with a hydraulic drive, which are frequent intense braking lose its effectiveness. On steel disc wheels with a bore diameter of 15 inches, Bolt is usually installed tires Firestone Whitewall ("Firestone Uaytuoll"), which had a tendency to increased wear during high speed driving style.
Cars Commander enjoyed an excellent reputation for its reliability and the management afforded pleasure, which is largely determined by the presence of hydraulic steering gear and a nice panoramic view (largely determined by the panoramic rear window), what could not boast of a "pedigree" of the model. Inside was the front seat, a sofa, which could, though without any special amenities (interfered with the protrusion in the floor for transmission) to accommodate three people. Behind the cabin was low and tight fit. Proved to be inconvenient, and the luggage compartment, which is part seemed roomy. His form was unsuccessful. In the trunk included a lot of things small, but large bags in the place it was very difficult.
Commander Series has once again confirmed the talent of Raymond Loewy, who became known to every motorist in the United States. He worked at Studebaker for 15 years - from 1940 to 1955 the New York Museum of Modern Art included a model of Commander in 1948 among the top ten design projects in the history of the car. Although the model Studebaker late 40's early 50's. were the most famous works of Lowe, among his creations were other no less famous cars: light green Lincoln Continental Derham ("Lincoln Continental Durham") in 1941 with a gold-coated bumpers, a number of prototype chassis Jaguar XK140 ("Jaguar") BMW 507 (BMW), Lancia B20 ("Liang Cha") and the Cadillac Eldorado ("Cadillac Eldorado"). After the unification of Studebaker and Packard Lowe resigned. Instead Commander coupe began production with the Golden Hawk "fins" and weight of chromium.
Commander has glorified the name of Raymond Loewy for all of America and the New York Museum of Modern Art included her in the top ten most significant design developments in the history of the car. 3.8-liter V-8-cylinder engine with a sucker rod operated valves located above the power developed 120 hp and provided a vehicle speed of 160 km / h As Commander freely housed five people, three in the front seat-sofa. Unfortunately, production problems hindered the growth of car sales
Engine: V8, the overhead
Bore and stroke: 85,73 x82, 55 mm
Displacement: 3812 cm3
Suspension: front independent on helical springs and double triangular wishbone with stabilizer bar, rear semi-elliptic leaf springs on the dependent
Body: 2-door coupe